OUR VERY FAVOURITE MIRRORSLifestyle
26 July 2017
The humble mirror is a silent worker bee in a home. Sure, it helps you to see what you're doing and decide whether your outfit looks great but it can also lift a space by making it feel lighter and brighter, which in winter is especially useful. The trick is to know what kind of mirror works best and where to place it in order to maximise the light that is already there. Here are 4 of our favourite placement ideas plus a few favourite in-store finds:
1. PLACE A MEDIUM TO LARGE MIRROR IN AN ENTRY WAY
Hallways can sometimes feel dark and devoid of light. A quick and easy way to introduce more light in is by placing a mirror at the end of the hallway or at the entrance to your home. The light that is reflected when the door opens is warm and inviting and therefore the perfect first impression to welcome in guests.
2. PLACE A FLOOR MIRROR NEXT TO A WINDOW
By placing a large mirror next to a window or between two, you create the illusion that the reflective surface is yet another window alongside the others. This in turn, amplifies your overall perception of light (and space) in the room.
3. PLACE MEDIUM TO LARGE SCALE HANGING MIRRORS ACROSS FROM A WINDOW
While option 2 creates the illusion of more than one window on the same wall, option 3 reflects the window and the view onto the wall adjacent. This can instantly make a room feel deceptively bigger, lighter and brighter.
4. PLACE A COLLECTION OF SMALL MIRRORS TOGETHER FOR A LARGE-SCALE EFFECT
Yes – one large mirror is great and can bounce light around on a much broader scale but so can a group of smaller mirrors positioned in one place. For instance, instead of a gallery-style feature wall filled with art, try recreating the look with a collection of smaller mirrors or a mixture of both.
- Antique linked mirror $35.90 from Bed Bath & Beyond | 2. Infinity Mirror $599 from Nood Furniture | 3. Harrow Standing Mirror $349 from Freedom Furniture | 4. White carved mirror small $95 from The Importer| 5. Elodie Mirror $199 from Freedom Furniture | 6. Astra Mirror was $299.00 now $149.50 from Nood| 7. Brooklyn Croyden $229.99 from Briscoes